Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sometimes the gift is the giving....

Today I attended a funeral. My brother-in-law's mother passed away after a courageous battle with cancer. I had only spoken to Sharon a handful of times and did not know her well. Because of this, I was not prepared for my emotional reaction during the service. Sharon was an inspiring woman. In addition to her own children, Sharon and her husband Willis adopted four others and cared for an additional 151 as foster children. Astonishing.


The recurring theme of the service was the gift of giving~giving of yourself, your time and your love. Giving to others is something we all have the capability of doing but so often choose not to do. Sometimes we do not give because it is inconvenient. Sometimes because it is too difficult, time consuming or stressful. Sometimes we just don't think of it. Whatever the reason may be, the result is still the same. Today I was inspired by a woman I barely knew and that is the greatest legacy one can pass on. Giving your time, your love, your resources, your shoulder to lean on, your smile, your help, your support or even your forgiveness won't always easy or convenient but it will always make a difference. Not only did Sharon and her husband make a difference in the lives of their children; biological, adopted or foster but they made a difference in all others who knew them and were touched either directly or indirectly by their giving spirit. I will think of today often and intend to learn from Mrs. Ratzlaff's legacy. In order to remember my blood type, I tell myself; "Jason is the universal giver (Type O) and I am the universal receiver (Type AB)~just like in real life. While sitting in that church today, I decided to become a better giver and I challenge you all to do the same.

May you rest in peace, Sharon, knowing the difference you made in the lives of so many because of your generous spirit.


"We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give."~Winston Churchill

No comments: