Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Giving thanks....

I'm sure most of you have heard the horrendous news story about Shaniya Davis, the 5 year old little girl who was raped and murdered after her mother "allegedly" sold her into a prostitution ring. It sickens me, it saddens me and it makes me wonder how things like this can even happen. What would possess a mother to even consider this? How does the idea even enter your head? Aren't adults given the honor and responsibility of protecting and loving the children in their lives? How dare this woman so boldly and maliciously fail in her responsibility?

Of course, to us, this sort of event is unimaginable but unfortunately it is not. When I first heard this heinous story, I immediately thought of a bible verse I became aware of last year and has stuck with me, "Be not overcome by evil but overcome evil by good." In my opinion, what happened to this little girl is the ultimate evil. Obviously I do not know this girl or have any sort of connection to her at all but I do think we can all use her tragic death as an opportunity to overcome evil by good.

For me it is so easy to become bogged down by things that aren't going perfectly; every day things like whiny kids, broken refrigerators, piles of laundry that seem endless, the list could go on and on. Unfortunately it takes a story like the story of Shaniya Davis to give me a little perspective. Never have I been faced with any real tragedy. There have been times of grief, extreme frustration, depression but never have I ever been even remotely in the presence of this type of evil. As an self proclaimed Caring Bridge stalker and a reader of incredibly sad blogs, I am aware of the tragic circumstances so many people are dealing with. How dare I allow myself to become upset over vehicle trouble?

Unless you have actually encountered tragedy and evil, you cannot possibly fully grasp it's wrath. Nevertheless, we have all heard the stories and from the stories, we can learn. What does it mean to overcome evil by good? Obviously by letting someone go in front of me in line, I will not be stopping all evil in the world from occurring but is it at least a start? Random acts of kindness, being aware and responsive to the needs of those around you, putting forth effort on behalf of someone else~these are all stepping stones to overcoming evil. Making someone's day brighter is never a bad thing. So many times, we worry about how helping others may be harming ourselves. We worry that extending ourselves for the needs of another may take from our limited supply of time, emotion, capabilities or resources and in some cases, that may be true. Every dollar you place in the Salvation Army bucket is one less dollar in your pocket. Every minute spent doing a good deed for your neighbor is one less minute you have to spend on your own needs. However, what we need to recognize is by giving, we are fulfilling God's will. In our own small way, we are prevailing over evil and that can only benefit us all.

With Thanksgiving on the horizon, I am challenging myself to look at the big picture and hope you will join me. Look beyond your four walls and brighten someone's day by utilizing the means with which you have been blessed. Baking cookies for the new family in the neighborhood, holding the door for the harried mother struggling with her stroller, giving time or money to one of the many charities that have a great need this time of the year or simply sharing your smile with a stranger. In your own single act of giving, the thanks will be immeasurable and evil will be one step closer to being overcome by good.

"Now what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving."~W.T Purkiser

No comments: