Thursday, March 18, 2010

When good ideas go bad...

Being St. Patrick's Day yesterday and all, my culinary partner in crime and myself decided to attempt to create a St. Patrick's themed delicacy. Rainbow cupcakes seemed simple and straightforward enough so after a quick emergency run to Hy-Vee for the white cake mix I could have sworn was in my pantry, we popped in the Black Eyed Peas CD, got out our mixer and set about our business of kitchen magic.

After preparing the white cake mix according to the directions, we separated the batter equally into six bowls. A cake walk...

Next we used food coloring to create the six colors of the rainbow. So easy even a child could do it...

Finally we began layering the colors into the cupcake holders and this is where things took a turn for the worse. I had seriously miscalculated the tedious and labor intensive nature of this particular step. Lily quickly became bored and abandoned her post as my not so trusty assistant in favor Spongebob and I was left to toil through this ridiculous project on my own. Who came up with this stupid idea anyway? ONE HOUR AND TWENTY MINUTES later, I had this to show for my efforts and into the oven they went.
When I pulled the delectable smelling little divinities out of the oven, I was delighted with the results...
But definitely not delighted enough to ever do it again.

Oh and did I mention, they tasted just like plain old vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting? The girls were mildly impressed at the novelty of it all. Grace and Lily each sucked one down. Ella politely accepted one and after a few bites, declared, "I'm just more of chocolatey kind of girl". Glad I tried it, so not worth it...

NEVER.AGAIN.

No comments: