Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What I learned in 2008...




I wanted to post something celebrating the New Year and couldn't figure out just what I wanted to say. Talking about resolutions just seemed too predictable, plus I don't want anyone to hold me to anything I resolve to do. While watching Bedtime Stories this afternoon, it came to me. What I learned in 2008 will be short and sweet (relatively speaking) since I only have a short amount of time to reflect on the past year and what I have learned but here is what I could come up with off the top of my head....
1. Watching your kids watch a movie is almost always more entertaining than the movie itself.
2. Most things are easier than you think they are going to be.
3. If you are wearing low rise jeans, you need to wear a belt, even if you think you don't.
4. Saying what you mean will save you a lot of time and energy rather than trying to get others to read your mind.
5. There are very few things that are unforgivable.
6. Facebook, although frighteningly reminiscent of high school, is addicting even for 33 year olds.
7. Most things really just don't matter. Too much time is spent worrying about little things.
8. Taking Christmas presents out of their packages is a full time job.
9. Computers can be your best friend or your worst enemy.
10. It is possible to be too hard on yourself.
11. Choosing the right check out line is the most important moment in a shopping trip.
12. Even the smallest things you say or do can have a huge impact on another without you even realizing it.
13. Men are born without a hypothalamus. The only temperatures men recognize are hot and boiling hot. Women need to keep a sweater handy.
14. If something can go wrong, it probably will. You may as well plan for it.
15. You can't unsay something.
16. Christmas still comes even if you don't have Christmas lights on your house.
17. No one can do it all by themselves.
18. Sometimes the most ordinary things can be made extraordinary simply by doing them with the right people. (Something I read not something I thought of myself!)
19. The dressing for seven layer salad is not 1 cup of mayo and 1 cup of sugar.
20. You can't fully understand something unless you have actually gone through it yourself.
21. It's usually worth spending the extra few dollars or extra few minutes.
22. Potty training is the single most important milestone in any person's life. There's just nothing bad about it.

No comments: