Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A lesson on swimming lessons....

Today was Grace and Ella's last day of swimming lessons. Although they did not move up a level during the last two weeks, I did see vast improvement in both of them. When Grace began swimming lessons, we took her to the YWCA. It was fine and she learned a lot but we heard rave reviews from many people about "SwimAmerica" so we defected and signed her up there. A major draw for us is the fact that multiple children in different levels can take lessons at the same time, saving the parents and children not participating in lessons, many hours of sitting in the observation deck. Additionally, "SwimAmerica" evaluates the swimmers on a daily basis and they can move up levels during the session, rather than being stuck in a level until the next session. This session was our third with "SwimAmerica" and yesterday I was struck by the irony of the name "SwimAmerica". Ironic because when there, I feel like I have stepped into a whole new microcosm. Just as in America or any other country around the world, there are classes/groups of people interacting and fulfilling roles. First, there are the little people (the swimmers). As in all societies, there are the big fish in a little pond (the upper level swimmers) and the little fish in a big pond (the 3 and 4 year old cuties). And, of course, the overwhelming majority of middle class members, happy to no longer be small fish but desiring to become the big fish. All of the little people are focused on their task~learning to swim. While they interact somewhat with one another, they mostly just put their goggles on and swim upstream.
Next you have the instructors who are in the water with the little people. They are at the mercy of the little people and also of the upper crust. You can see a camaraderie between the instructors as they can relate with one another. They are all in the same boat, so to speak and while they are the most important people in the room (besides Grace, Ella, Lily and myself, of course), they get very little recognition. There is little, if any, competition because they are all on the same level and have no incentive to compete.

At the top of the heap is Clipboard Guy. We all know Clipboard Guy. It's the person "in charge" that walks around using some inanimate object (clipboard, walkie talkie, name badge, etc.) to establish his/her power over the rest of the tribe.

Of course, I understand the need for Clipboard Guy and truth be told, I have even aspired to be Clipboard Guy at times. In any group situation, especially in a learning situation, someone needs to be in charge. What I always find so interesting is how that clipboard has the ability to transform a regular old person into a power yielding egomaniac. Don't get me wrong, I was in awe today when he approached us following lessons and was able to not only recognize Grace and Ella on deck but also recall the specifics of their swimming prowess. Nor do I doubt Clipboard Guy knows his stuff. I mean, heck, he even wears an SDSU swimming and diving shirt to prove it. And I will freely admit, he has given both Ella and Grace some tips that have helped them hone their skills. As an added bonus, he provides me with entertainment every day. I just love watching him walk around the pool dispensing his aquatic wisdom to any and all who will listen. I laugh to myself every time I see him demonstrating the proper stroke technique and watching his SDSU t-shirt ride up revealing his not so swimmer like belly. And I chuckle about the hold he has over the remaining group in this sociological nirvana~the parents.

The parents are a funny group. At the pool, there is one bleacher that runs around about half of the pool area. There is plenty of space for all spectators but as the spots fill up, things can get dicey. It reminds me a lot of how people act on an elevator. While you are in close proximity to each other, most people avoid eye contact at all costs. Some parents are glued to their little fish's every move. Some read or text. Some, such as in my case, admire to their non-swimming children,

wonder why she puts her shoes on the wrong feet almost every single time...

and answer questions such as "Why doesn't my hair fall off?", like I did yesterday when Lily was bent over at the waist talking to me. The one thing all of the parents have in common is the way they perk up whenever Clipboard Guy looks or walks in their direction. See, Clipboard Guy doles out the progress stickers and is the final (and only) word on when and if a little person moves up a level. You can see all the parents, (myself included, I'm ashamed to admit) try to watch Clipboard Guy without looking like they are watching him. If a parent does happen to get the coveted visit and gold star, he or she sits up a little straighter and smiles a little bigger for the remainder of the lesson.

I haven't had the honor of a personal visit with Clipboard Guy this session and I am OK with that because I get to take these two goofballs home with me and visit with them all I want.


Grace swims better than I do even if she doesn't bring her elbow out of the water at the perfect angle. I feel comfortable with Ella's swimming skills enough that I don't worry she is going to drown if I am not holding on to her. With or without Clipboard Guy and his gold stars, I think this round of lessons has gone just swimmingly.

No comments: