Wednesday, June 17, 2009

To plunge or not to plunge, that is the question....

A few years ago I was faced with this exact question, to plunge or not to plunge? Our house on Goldenrod was somewhat prone to clogs, due mainly to two little people who used way too much toilet paper. One unfortunate day, I stumbled across a "situation" in the bathroom with no Jason in sight. The toilet was plugged and I had never used a plunger, nor did I have any desire to learn. I thought (hoped) maybe just flushing would fix the mess. However, as you can probably guess, this just created a larger and potential disastrous problem. At that point, I did what any practical, logical, mechanically inclined individual would do, I turned the water off to the toilet. Immediately after shutting the water off, a vortex of sorts was created and the mess magically disappeared and in it's place was a clean toilet bowl and a working stool. I didn't give it much thought and continued on with my day. From that day on, this was my go to method of unclogging toilets and it worked with satisfying results. Don't get me wrong, toilet clogging is not a sport in our home and doesn't happen on a regular basis but it does happen from time to time and I just went with what worked without questioning it. Occasionally, this plumbing panacea failed me and I had to resort to the good old fashioned plunger but more often than not, a twist of the knob and we were back in action.

Imagine my surprise when , a year of so later, revealing this stroke of genius to my mechanically inclined husband brought only loud and prolonged laughter. "What is so funny?", I wondered. Jason, very matter-of-factly and somewhat snootily (if you ask me), informed me, "This is mechanically impossible and is completely 100% coincidental (if it did in fact work at all)." I did what any rational person would do when being challenged, I called my dad. I explained to him my logic and again was met with laughter. Not one to give up, I placed a call to our local Handyman store to speak with a professional. Again, I explained my process and sat back waiting for redemption to come. Guess what, the Handyman laughed at me too.

Since being laughed at, I haven't given up but rather persevered quietly. There have been times over the course of the last year or so that I have singlehandedly saved our home from torrential flooding, all because of my quick thinking. Not once have I mentioned it to Jason because my feelings were too hurt, too raw. My confidence was too shaken. Months have passed without incident and then today the inevitable happened. I walked into my bathroom only to discover a toilet assaulted by too much paper. I crossed my fingers, flushed and watched as the water rose. I let things settle and flushed again with the same result. I knew it was time to take matters into my own hands. I flushed again and while the water was rising, I shut the water down. As I expected, vortex occurs and problem is solved. Looks like it was time to revisit the issue with Mr. Kolb. I dialed the number I know so well and explained just what had happened, sure this time, he could not chalk it up to coincidence. But, I was wrong again. He told me it was impossible, purely coincidental and I could continue doing this if I was so inclined but there would be no way he would ever "come to the party (or potty)" so to speak. I implored him to locate a plumber and just ask and he refused claiming the plumber would think he was a total idiot. Eventually, we agreed to disagree~even though I know I am right! Not willing to accept defeat, I again called my daddy, sure he would remember our previous conversation, be struck by the impossibility of coincidence and come to my side of the fence but NO, he sided with Jason. Nice loyalty, Dad! He even was so rude as to make some snide reference to my hair color.

And so, here I am, asking you just to give me the benefit of the doubt. I am not asking you to believe me with no proof other than my word. I am just asking for a chance. Next time you have the misfortune of a clogged toilet, think about this, think about me and cut the water. See what happens and let me know (not specifics, please), just the final result. Should I be proven right (and I have no doubt I will be proven right), there will likely be billboards erected, appearances on Oprah booked and magazine articles written boasting of my plumbing expertise. There will also be apologies expected from Mr. Kolb, my father and the so-called professional handyman. It will be then, I can rest, knowing the great service I have provided the civilized world~no more disgusting plungers. You are welcome, in advance.

No comments: