Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Maybe Annie was wrong.....

Tomorrow I am going to start eating less and exercising more. Next week I will begin setting my alarm for 6:15AM. Tomorrow I will rationally discuss issues with my girls rather than flying off the handle and yelling at them to "Pick that up, RIGHT NOW!" On the 1st of the month, I'm going to start guitar lessons (right Josh?). Sound familiar? If you are anything like me, it does. I am constantly making New Year's resolutions that are always going to start tomorrow or next week or next month. But what I am realizing is that I never do it. My best intentions turn into just that intentions rather than actions. Instead of rising and shining early, I wait until the girls come and climb into bed with me for a few minute snuggle before I get out of bed. I still hammer down an entire bowl of chips and three cups of salsa at Casa Del Rey or help myself to seconds of spaghetti regardless of the resolution I made the previous day. After having to repeat myself for the third time to the girls, I resort to hollering instead of taking a deep breath and counting to ten before addressing them. What's a girl to do? I have these grand ideas to become a better Jessica only to have them derailed when tomorrow finally comes.
I truly do want to make some changes and my desire is genuine. Of course, my will power is lacking somewhat which leads me to believe the waiting until tomorrow, next week or next month is not the "clean start" that I tell myself it is but rather a stall tactic allowing for life circumstances to creep in and delay the new me from emerging. Thinking about it now, does it really make sense to say "I want to be a better person but not until tomorrow"? No, I really want to be a better person TODAY so why would I wait until tomorrow to begin the process? On the one hand, Annie was right, tomorrow is only a day away. However, for some of us, as sad as it is, tomorrow may never come. Embrace today. Savor today. Live in the now. Why put off till tomorrow, what you can do today. There's no time like the present. All cliches but all so true. By always focusing on tomorrow, aren't you forgetting about living today? Today's the day. Today I am going to be be more nurturing towards my children and when they test me, I will remind myself they are just little girls that need my love and guidance. Today I am going to spend less time checking people.com and more time playing with Lily. Today I am going to enjoy my life. I'm not going to wait until tomorrow to be a better person. After all, tomorrow is a whole day away.

"Life lived for tomorrow will always be just a day away from being realized."~Leo Buscaglia

No comments: