Monday, October 5, 2009

I'd Settle For A Slowdown...

Monday morning and it's raining again. I am reflecting on the past week or so and have realized how busy it has been. We enjoyed a fabulous, fun-filled visit from Mom, Dad and Kimmie this weekend. We shopped until we almost dropped, replenishing our fall wardrobes in the process. We dined on the finest cuisine Sioux Falls has to offer, Casa Del Rey~duh. We introduced Grace to the best board game ever created, Sequence, and in turn created a Sequence addict. And we cheered, cheered, cheered for the home team as Grace and Ella dazzled with their soccer prowess. It was a very awesome visit and we are so glad they came to spend time with us.

Other than our weekend fun, the past week or so has been full. Full of house cleaning and errands. Full of celebrating the 40 years of life of Clifford John Kolb and also celebrating the all too short life of Marie Therese Berens. Full of endless amounts of work for Jason and his crew which translates into full amounts of togetherness for the girls and I as Jason is working a phenomenal amount of hours. We are trying to make the best of his full schedule and as much as we hate having him away so much, we appreciate the fact that he has all this work when we know the alternative of not having any work is never a good thing.

As I sat down to make my to-do list this week, I drew a blank. The house is clean. The fridge and pantry are stocked. No big events on the horizon. What's a girl to do? How is it that being ultra busy stresses me out as much as not having anyting looming? I'm noticing a pattern here. A blank list causes me a great deal of anxiety for some reason and so I began furiously scribbling notes of urgent items to take care of such as planning Ella's Fall party to be held on October 30th and purchasing Christmas gifts~you know, the things that just can't wait and NEED to be completed this week. I then took a step back, put my pen down and took a deep breath. A blank list does not translate to a blank life. It just simply means~things are good, things are in order and I have plenty of time, a luxury most people do not have, to take care of the upcoming things. I do not need to cram everything in to this week. I made the decision to go with the flow. I know I have made this decision before and somehow my obsessive-compulsive nature creeps back in but this time I mean it~I'M GOING WITH THE FLOW! I am going to do things as I feel like it. I am not going to obsess over a 45 minute party for a bunch of 6 year olds that would be happy to play pin the nose on the scarecrow and eat a candy bar. I'm going to relax, damn it, if it's the last thing I do! Oh, who am I kidding? I am going to have this party planned by the end of the week. Summer clothes will be packed away and fall clothes will find their way into the dressers. I will hopefully have a few more Christmas presents purchased and I will find a whole bunch of other trivial things to put on my to do list. But on that list, I am going to pencil in some time to go with the flow and also some time to relax and enjoy this free time I have. In addition to the shopping and planning and cleaning, I'm going to add game playing, puzzle doing, hoops shooting, book reading and life living.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."~John Lennon

No comments: