Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mother's Day...

Since becoming a mother almost 10 years ago, I've had many ups and downs. I've had my eyes opened to a whole new way of living that involves less "me, me, me" and more "you, you, you". My life no longer belongs to me alone but rather to me and my three little duckies (well, and technically to Jason too but he's a big boy so I'll let him claim his own life). For some, the thought of sharing your life so completely is daunting. For me, a person who craves a sense of belonging and purpose, I couldn't love it more. I belong with these wonderful girls and they belong with me. As draining as having three little people depending on you for their basic needs as well as their not so basic needs, the rewards and happiness are immeasurable.

And so, in honor of Mother's Day, I have created a list of things (in no way an all-inclusive list) I love about being a mother:

1. Pinkie swears-A pinkie swear from a child is far more binding than any "You have my word" from an adult.
2. The unadulterated innocence, purity and faith all children are born with. They are a clean slate that you know eventually will be marred but being able to experience that for even a short time can restore your own faith in the good of the world.
3. Messy faces and mismatched outfits that reflect a lack of self-conscientiousness that is enviable.
4. The extraordinary privilege of experiencing events and situations, even the most mundane, through my little girls' eyes is a gift like no other.
5. Bedtime, theirs and mine, holds a whole new level of appreciation in my life.
6. Being able to legitimately use the phrases, "Because I said so, that's why!" and "Moms just know stuff like that."
7. Walking through Hy-Vee and having one of them slip their little hand into mine makes me feel more proud than any thing I have ever accomplished in my life.
8. Having a shopping partner, an outfit approver, a lunch date or a board game player always
on hand.
9. There are three little people out there that completely believe in me and trust that when things aren't going well, I can make things right and I can make it better.
10. Having three perfectly reasonable excuses for always having homemade baked goods on hand, why I am sitting on the couch watching Suite Life of Zach and Cody, knowing all the words to all the High School Musical songs or being excited over coming across one of my old favorite books at the library.
11. Daily glimpses of the goodness of life and endless supply of hope only little children can provide. In a child's mind, there is always a silver lining.
12. Learning that I am more brave than I ever thought I could be.
13. Finding notes that say things like, "I love you 100%." or "You are the best mommy ever."
14. The broadening of my horizons and how being a mother has taken me out of my self-contained shell. I have met new friends, joined into activities I would not have otherwise participated in and become a better person so as to be a better role model for my mini-me's.
15. The love that I am given every single day that most of the time, I don't even deserve.
16. And finally, the appreciation I have gained for all mothers, but mine in particular. It is impossible to understand the level of sacrifice, unconditional love, fortitude and effort it takes to be a mom until you are one yourself.

Mom~Every day could be Mother's Day and it still would not be sufficient to celebrate the job you have done and continue to do. As I navigate this extremely rocky path of parenting, there are no other footsteps in which I would want to follow. I love you.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers who happen to read this. And, Happy Mother's Day to all of the children for without you, there would be no mothers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Stop making me tear up at work! It's so unprofessional. Mother's Day--officially my fave holiday, hands down.