Friday, February 25, 2011

Something old, something new....

Last Saturday Grace was on her very first overnight, out-of-town trip with a friend.  Jason was working and Ella, Lily and I were looking for something to do.  Normally the three of us are quite content just staying home and occupying our time but I decided we needed to go somewhere, do something and so we did. 

The Old Courthouse Museum has been on my list of places to visit for some time now.  Jason and the girls have visited this local attraction but I had not yet had the pleasure.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect and I was right to not anticipate because no way would I have expected an exhibit on "The History of Underwear"...
An interactive exhibit, no less...
Following our education on underwear through the ages, we checked out a buffalo and all of it's various parts and the historical usage of those parts...
Next, Lily got up close and personal with a vintage automobile...
Riding in a hot air balloon has always been a dream of mine so the next exhibit was of special interest to me...
The girls and I then ventured upstairs for what I thought to be the coolest and most nostalgic exhibit, "Drive-In's of Sioux Falls"...
And finally, we learned about dogs and the jobs and roles they have had throughout history.  Lily was particularly enamored with this doghouse...

Not the only time she will be in the doghouse, I am sure.

She also fell in love with this little adorable although somewhat creepy to me, preserved chihuahua...
In addition to all of the wonderfully interesting and creative exhibits, the building itself is beautiful and full of history...
Our attention had been fully captured...
There was just no better way we could have spent this lazy, free, unhurried Saturday afternoon.  Hours spent exploring memories while creating our own.
It was picture perfect.

No comments: