Friday, August 15, 2008

It's the final countdown.






Here it is, the official last day of summer vacation. Now, I know there are still two days before school starts but in my mind, today is the last day. Saturdays and Sundays are given as they are free days all year long. So, for me, today marks the last day of vacation and we are going out with a bang! We started the day with the girls' most favorite summer pasttime, a visit to a garage sale. The girls scored big time and I broke my two cardinal rules of garage sale-ing. The first and most important rule of garage sale-ing is "Avoid garage sales at all costs". However, when the sale is just across the street and is being hosted by the mother of one of Grace's best friends, I really don't feel I had much of a choice. And the second rule of garage sale-ing, "Under no circumstances is it permissible to purchase a swimsuit". Yes folks, I am ashamed to admit did I not only allow Grace to buy a swimsuit but I bought one for Lily with my very own money. My only defense at this point is sentimentality and sadness over the summer ending. I know, I know. pretty weak but it's all I got!

In addition to the garage sale, Grace and Ella get to go to the dentist this afternoon. Another one of their favorite activities-yes, I am aware they are a little on the strange side. While they both agree the bite wing x-rays are the worst, they really enjoy the rest of their visit. Ella was slightly worried about a small amount of plaque she felt she had on her tooth this morning so hopefully the visit turns out OK.

And finally, I think we will close the day out with one more of their favorites, a sleepover in the basement. I have not informed them of this yet but I imagine the news will be met with pure delight.

You all may be thinking that I am being just slightly overdramatic about the beginning of school and I will be the first to admit that I am. It's not as if I am never going to see Grace and Ella again. They are not going to boarding school even where I would only see them on weekends or holidays. On a normal person, practical level, I get this. It's just that more so than any other event during the year, the first day of school marks a measurable progression of time. Days, weeks and months pass without anyone stopping to think what that actually means. My favorite children's book is called 'Let Me Hold You Longer' written by Karen Kingsbury. It is about how we all anticipate and celebrate the first moments of our children but oftentimes overlook the lasts (the last time you color a picture with them, the last time they need your help tying shoes, the last time they will allow you to hug or kiss them in public). These lasts are just as important as the firsts and this book encourages parents to recognize the lasts and embrace them. As much as the first day of school is a first of many things, it is also a last of many things. And that makes me just a little bit sad. I asked Ella this morning what she thought about school starting on Monday and her response was "I am trying not to think about it.". I asked her why and she said she is scared and nervous so she is trying to forget all about it. Bless her heart. I so badly wanted to tell her I felt the same way but I just gave her a hug. But, in typical Ella fashion, less than an hour later she was talking about how awesome it will be to learn how to read and spell. Ultimately I need to take a lesson from Ella, while I am a little bit scared and nervous, there are so many great things that are about to happen and I need to look forward to them. But just for today, I think I would like them to "let me hold them longer".

1 comment:

Erin said...

Jess, You have such a great way of expressing things. It makes me feel like I am right there with you and the girls! You should consider writing a book on your adventures in life! Erin