Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Gett'em while they're hot....

Some of you may know about my most recent, ongoing pet project but for those of you who don't.....a few years ago Sheila told me about a service their school provided in which parents could purchase prepackaged school supply kits directly from the school, saving said parents of the chaotic running around that inevitably comes with school supply shopping. Everything the kid needs all wrapped up in a nice little package....has there ever been a better idea, I wondered? I thought about this idea off and on since and finally at the beginning of this school year, I decided it was time to make a move. Breaking out of my self-imposed shell, I contacted our PTA President and pitched the idea. She loved it and asked me if I would be interested in spearheading it. I told her I was all over it and the research began. After months of contacting various companies who provide such a service, creating surveys, graphs, charts and informational handouts and sending an obscene number of emails, the deal was finally struck. I had located a local company (at the suggestion of Kristin and Amanda) that was able to give me a better price than all the other national companies and would fulfill the needs of the parents who had requested we try to stay local if possible.


As I am sure all of you know, I take my projects, however minor they may be, very personal and so when my first foray into the school community didn't turn out well, I was rather dejected. But as they say, you have to get right back on the horse and so I participated in Kindergarten registration, hocking my wares. I am so extremely pleased to report the response I received this evening was overwhelming positive. In fact, I even made my first, second and third sales (all to the same parent but still)! I am totally stoked about this and just wanted to share my success with you all.

"Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try."~Author Unknown

No comments: