Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lily The Storyteller....

I have every reason to believe Lily has a future as an author of fictional works. Here is an excerpt from a conversation between the two of us on Monday:

Me (curious): "Hey Lily, why did you hop into bed with Dad and I last night?"
Lily (without hesitation): "Because the animals were biting me."
Me (thrown off guard): "What animals were biting you?
Lily (straight face): "My stuffed animals."
Me (biting back a laugh): "I don't think your stuffed animals were biting you. That sounds like a story to me."
Lily (totally Oscar worthy): "No Mom, they were biting me and it really hurt."
Me (feeling inspired with a 'gotcha' reply): "If the animals were biting you, do you have any marks? Let me see the marks."
Lily (momentarily stunned but unwilling to bend): "Well, their teeth weren't very sharp but it really hurt."
Me (calling her bluff): "I think you hopped into bed with Dad and I because you wanted to snuggle."
Lily: (Game over) "Yes, I wanted to snuggle. The animals weren't biting me. That was just a story."

End scene.

I can't help but think how well this talent of weaving a tall tale will serve her in her teenage years. Hopefully her tendency to take the story just a little past believable coupled with my ability to sniff out the truth will hold or we could have trouble on our hands.

No comments: