Friday, December 4, 2009

Look out Roger Ebert...

A movie reviewer, I am not. Restaurants, yes. Movies, no. In fact, I don't even really watch that many movies as I don't like to sit still for long periods on time and often lose interest. Rarely do we actually venture out to the theaters and most often wait for the DVD version. However, last night I watched a movie that captured my attention so much, I feel compelled to urge you to all see it as well (if you have not already, that is).

"My Sister's Keeper" is based off of a book written by my favorite author, Jodi Picoult. I eagerly anticipated it's release and was even wanting to rush out and see it as soon as it was in the theaters. I could not however, in good conscience, force Jason to see a movie that I was certain could be potentially so tedious and melodramatic, it would actually cause him physical pain so I refrained and finally was able to lay my hands on Redbox copy. With Jason off on a man-date with his buddies and the girls snuggled into their beds, I excitedly popped the movie in and sat back ready to cry. Although I had read the book and was fully aware it would be a tearjerker of epic proportions, I still did not anticipate my extremely powerful emotional reaction. So powerful, there were many times I almost just had to turn the movie off because I just wasn't sure my heart could take it.

As I've mentioned before, I am a sucker for a sad story and any story that involves sick children especially tugs at my heart strings, as I am sure the same is for each of you. For those unfamiliar with the story line of this particular movie here is a brief synopsis. A couple has a daughter who is diagnosed with leukemia. As a last resort to save their daughter's life, they have another daughter who is genetically engineered to be a "perfect match" therefore able to supply her older sister with the necessary bone marrow and other various bodily fluids needed to potentially bring about remission. After many years of painful medical procedures, the younger sister petitions for medically emancipation so that she does not have to donate a kidney that her older sister will need to prevent her death. The younger sister knows that by not providing the kidney, her sister will die but is adamant in her quest to acquire the rights to her own body.

There are so many elements that are interesting to me about this story but there are two main ideas that I continue to ponder today. First, the story is told from the perspective of each of the people involved: the older sister, the younger sister, the mom, the dad, the brother and the lawyer. Each sharing the same experience but with completely different feelings, thoughts and reasons for why they do what they do and why the feel what they feel. How numerous people can be faced with the exact same situation and experience it so very differently is incredibly thought provoking and intriguing. It makes a person realize they are only a small part of a very large puzzle. Using this knowledge to consider how others involved in a situation can only be a positive thing.

Secondly, there comes a point in the movie (and book) where a certain piece of information is revealed that changes the whole tide. Something that only some of the characters were aware of but affected them all. It really made me reflect again on how it is impossible to fully grasp the reasons any one person acts in a certain way. There are always underlying circumstances that affect how decisions are made and why actions are taken. For any of us to ever assume we know why another behaved a way they did is absurd. Things simply are generally not that cut and dry. This movie said all of the things I attempted to say in this post, http://thekolbfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/2008/11/through-my-eyes.html but far more eloquently than I can even begin to attempt.

As sad as this movie is, the messages it conveys are important. Acceptance, love, sacrifice, loyalty, dedication, family. How can you go wrong? Watch it. Think about it. And then, use it.

No comments: