Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My own miracle...

Easter season....a time for anguish, reflection and ultimately joy.  Jesus' suffering, crucifixion and subsequent rising from the dead to open the gates of Heaven.  A miracle of epic proportions, a miracle like no other, the miracle.  A time for celebration~to be sure.

As fate would have it, this year Easter happens to coincide with Jason and my 12 year wedding anniversary.  Now I would never presume to trivialize Easter by attempting to compare this grand event with marriage but I have to admit, I consider my marriage a miracle in it's own right.  Never did I imagine over 14 years ago that I would stumble (literally, stumble and fall) into what has proven to be my greatest accomplishment, my pride and joy, my everything.

I am quite certain that the night I met Jason so many years ago he didn't walk away from the meeting knowing he had just met the person he was going to marry.  I, on the other hand, vividly recall informing my mother that I had met the greatest guy ever, the guy that was my forever.  I do, however, believe he knew it.  I'm not necessarily a believer in love at first sight but I did know that the man I had just met was unlike any other I had ever known.  He had more character, more honesty, more humor and more goodness~I could just tell. 

What I didn't know at that time was his kindness.  How he thinks nothing of providing a meal or a ride to someone in need.  How he is the first one to help a friend who is moving.  How he will lend a hand, a nail gun or a $20 bill~no questions asked.  How careful he is with the feelings of his girls (me included).

What I didn't know at that time was his patience.  How he could listen endlessly to my stories, my questions, my insecurities and my opinions.  How he could run up and down the sidewalk alongside his training wheel-less daughter while she nervously learned how to ride on two wheels.  How he could thoughtfully consider options and provide feedback no matter how many times I asked what we should have for supper.

What I didn't know at that time was what an unbelievable father he would be.  How he could love his little girls so that there will never be a doubt in their minds that they are worthy of love.  How he takes them on little adventures that they will remember for the rest of their lives.  How he tucks them in every single night and kisses them goodbye every morning before he leaves for work, even though they are sound asleep.

What I didn't know at that time was what an absolutely incredible husband he would be.  How he would get up at 430AM for work but stay up to watch a movie with me just so we could be together.  How he would not only allow but encourage me to put my cold feet on him so I could warm up.  How he would take time out of his busy day to call me just to say hi because he knows how much that means to me.

What I didn't know at that time was if he felt the same way about me as I did about him.  What I didn't know was if he would call me for a 1st date after our initial meeting.  What I didn't know was what I would be missing if he didn't make that call.  Thankfully, he saw something in me that made him call and made him want to stick around.

14 years ago we met at Nutty's over a tall Coors Light and some shuffleboard.
13 years ago we became engaged, on the bike trail after weeks and weeks of my speculation as to the when and how.
12 years ago, this Sunday we promised to love each other for all the days of our lives.

My own little miracle. 
I love you Jason.  You are my why and my how.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Congrats you two! You are perfect for one another and an inspiration to others! Your post brought tears to my eyes ... Again!

gram & grandpa said...

Happy Anniversary Jessica and Jason,
I knew from the way he sat under the tree at the hotel that night that he thought you were a very special person. You are so right for each other and have such a wonderful family of daughters.
Love you