Monday, January 26, 2009

BFF's.....

Best friends forever, a phrase I thought reserved only for backs of school pictures exchanged and following the classic, "Stay cool, have a great summer" in cheesy yearbook entries. However, after a weekend spent with Melissa, my BFF from STJ, and her two girls, I realized it is a phrase that can be used by a 33 year old woman to describe a friend who she has been lucky enough to have for 25 years. It's funny because Melissa and I live over 150 miles apart from one another, sometimes talk on the phone three times in a week or sometimes once in three weeks but never is there an awkward silence. It always seems we are just picking up right where we left off. So, when the plans were made for her to come visit this weekend, I eagerly anticipated her arrival. Friday night, we sat around the kitchen table with Jes (another great friend), chatting, drinking cheap wine and eating. What better way to spend a night with old friends?
Making a pannekueken on Saturday morning was just like the good old days (minus the tight rolled jeans and sky high bangs held with 1/2 a can of Aqua Net). I can't even count the number of mornings during middle school and high school, Melissa and I made breakfast in Grandma Naida's kitchen, planning (or maybe it was plotting) our day! Although in this case, the plans for the day involved the movie "Hotel for Dogs" and bowling rather than taking whips and going to Fox Lake. After the movie and bowling we made a pit stop at Fryn' Pan (where else?), we were home, in our comfies, ready to just chill out. The girls spent much of their time perfecting the dance for Beyonce's "Single Ladies" (that song is now forever on repeat in my mind), playing house and hiding from each other. Melissa and I spent time catching up, relieving old memories and talking about everything and about nothing.

When it came time for them to leave on Sunday, I was sad but also happy. Happy to know that I have a friend with whom I have a level of comfort that only comes from many hours logged together. Happy to realize this is a friend who has known me through the goods and the bads and still shows up. Happy to see our daughters cultivating friendships and having an ease with one another that is the basis for a long lasting friendship. Happy to know that just because she was leaving, didn't mean that she would be gone. Thank you Melissa, for coming to visit, for always being there and for being my BFF.

"In a friend, you find a second self."~Isabelle Norton

No comments: