Monday, April 13, 2009

Jess and Jason's "Egg"cellent Adventure....

Saturday night the girls went to bed planning out their Easter basket hunting route for Sunday morning. Grace made the bunny a card requesting that her basket be hidden in a very hard spot. Mr. Bunny attempted to do so however, he had underestimated the girls' detective skills and all three were found within five minutes of receiving the green light to search. All three girls were thrilled to find their baskets filled with goodies including a webkinz for each of them.





Grace and Crystal, the bottlenosed dolphin....

Ella and Paco, the parrot....


And Lily with her new friend, Ralphie the weiner dog....


Even though the girls were anxious to begin the "adoption" process, Jason and I needed to complete our final preparations for the Easter dinner that was to commence following Mass. We peeled 15 lbs. of potatoes, prepared 20 lbs. of ham and various assorted delicacies to accompany the wonderful dishes supplied by his sisters and mom. Ham and potatoes baking away, we were on our way to church....after a short photo shoot.


Following Mass, we booked home to hide the eggs for the big hunt, make lemonade and put the finishing touches on the meal. As the house began to fill with hungry Kolb's, it was decided to place the egg hunt on the back burner (much to the chagrin of the little ones) so we could get right to feasting. Everything was delicious and once we were all sufficiently full, the kids were turned loose.






The hunt didn't last long as there really aren't any super awesome hiding spots around the house but they seemed to enjoy themselves. Luckily the weather cooperated and most of the kids spent the rest of the afternoon/evening giving our swing set a much needed workout (with some help from Uncle Clifford and Grandpa John)


while the adults chatted, ate some more and relaxed.




Eventually the kids began to peter out

(Exhibit A)

(Exhibit B)

and so did the adults and before we knew it, the party was over. Another wonderful holiday and celebration under our belts.


Unfortunately Monday didn't go quite as swimmingly as Sunday. Lily hopped into bed with me around 6AM which was a lovely little surprise. What wasn't so lovely, however, was when she proceeded to throw up in my bed shortly after 630AM. I thought maybe it was a fluke puke following a coughing fit. Ahh, wishful thinking. I was dead wrong and spent the next 4 hours holding her bucket while the poor little thing heaved (sorry for the graphics, I'm done now). I asked her what wasn't feeling good and not wanting to lead her into saying "my tummy" I offered many options: toes, tummy, arm, leg, bumpah and even her eyelashes. In a weak little voice she responded, "My eyelashes." Although I didn't want to completely discount her feelings, I decided it would be better to treat based on her symptoms and kept her on a diet of apple juice and water for the morning. While the rest of us were eating lunch, she surfaced and was interested in having some noodles. Against my better judgement, I allowed this only to be rewarded with a second viewing of above mentioned noodles. My Moocher is a trooper though and wasn't about to be deterred by this minor set back and finished her lunch, all the while assuring me, "I feel better, Mama." and "Aren't you proud I'm done puking?". What a little sweetie. She is currently in hour three of a hopefully healing nap and I am looking forward to her bright eyes and bushy tail returning.

Obviously this bout of the flu or whatever it is, pushed our originally scheduled plans of bridesmaid dress measuring and soccer accessories shopping on hold. Fortunately I have two wonderful little girls and big sisters who were extremely sympathetic to their baby sister's ailment and after producing some beautifully adorned get well soon wishes, entertained themselves for a good portion of the day as I alternated between caring for Lily and participating in my least favorite event of the house cleaning Olympics, on my hands and knees floor scubbing.


Ella was saved by the bell when the phone rang and a play date offer sprang up unexpectedly. After a brief freak out of, "I decided I don't want to go. I'm scared." and a proper good old pep talk from me, she was sitting in the backseat of Lexi's mom vehicle with not so much as a second look at me. Grace is milling around desperately looking for something exciting to occupy the remainder of this last vacation day of the school year. I think maybe this is my perfect opportunity to out and teach her the finer points of the best sport around....volleyball.

Looking forward to a week of good health and awesome weather!


***Update~I was having some technical difficulties and was not able to publish as soon as I finished writing this post. Lily woke up and informed me, "Mommy, I am feeling much better." She went outside with Grace and I and rode the Rocket Rider like it was going out of style. She has maintained a sunny disposition and the contents of her stomach since waking.

No comments: