Friday, April 17, 2009

As fate would have it....

With one week to go until Jason and I's 10th anniversary, I have been thinking about how we met. For those of you unfamiliar with the story, a friend of mine was seeing a friend of his. They decided we might enjoy each other's company and set us up. Stacy and I sauntered in to Nutty's (South now, the only Nutty's 12 years ago) and she quickly introduced me to "these really cool guys that I met". I wouldn't say Jason and I hit it off immediately but there was interest there. The following Tuesday (Tuesdays were the big Nutty's nights back in the day) we returned with our refillable beer mugs in hand and at that point Jason and I began to find we had a lot in common. Our respective friends ditched us leaving me with the task of giving Jason a ride home. I clearly remember dropping him off in front of 718 W. 4th and telling him, "I will give you my number but I do not want yours. If you want to talk to me, call. If I don't hear from you, I will know you are not interested." For the next 7 days I waited increasingly less and less patiently for the phone to ring. Finally on the next Tuesday, the phone rang in the late afternoon and it was Jason (typical man to wait so long) wondering if I would like to go to Nutty's and that was it. Our friends who set us up ended up not being a good match but Jason and I turned out to be two sides of the same coin.

I realize this isn't the most unique "how we met" story but it's ours. And if you think about it, everyone's story is really pretty interesting. Thinking back, I realize how very easy it would have been for me to miss this opportunity. Maybe I turned Stacy down for a night out. Maybe Jason didn't show up. Maybe Jason decided not to call me. So many things had to all come together for this fateful meeting. I really believe the one moment that altered the course of my life and ended up leading me to Jason was a moment I had no control over at all. A moment that was dictated by people who knew nothing of me other than my name and basic information. I believe that moment was when I was assigned to the dorm I lived in my freshman year of college. This may seem like a bit of a stretch to some of you but just go with me for a second. At Augie there were two dorms freshmen lived in, Berg which was exclusively freshmen and Solberg which housed all levels and held just the overflow freshmen. Had I been placed in Berg, I would have met a completely different group of people and quite possibly never even known who Stacy was. Of course, being friends with Stacy is a very integral part of our story and so it stands to reason, I then would have never met Jason and so on and so forth.

My point is this, our lives are really just a collection of moments. Moments who create by our own choices (our career, our friends, what to do with our days, etc.), moments over which we have no control (accidents, sicknesses, winning the lottery, etc.) and those obscure moments that pass by every day without notice. Obviously the day I received the letter assigning my dorm and roommate was exciting and noteworthy. However, at that time, there is no way I could have predicted the road it would have led me down.

It is because of this, I firmly believe every moment, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem, needs to be handled with care. We are all interconnected whether we like it or not and need to treat each other as such. You never know how something you say or do may affect another person. Would Jason and I found each other had I lived in Bergsaker Hall rather than Solberg? Perhaps, but I am sure glad the guy in charge of Augustana Residential Life didn't leave it to chance. Take care of your moments.

Here is a poem that I wrote for Jason two years ago that is a not so brief synopsis of our collection of moments: (I apologize for the length. I think we all know I tend to get a little wordy.)

JESSICA'S ODE TO JASON

Once upon a time
Actually ten years ago
I met my true Prince Charming
Of that I was fo' sho.
Never did I imagine
My life could be so sweet.
Until you came around
And I was literally swept off my feet.
Graduation night at the Ramkota
With you underneath the tree
I knew deep in my heart
You were the one for me.
From Boomer's to Homer's
We let the good times roll.
WeFest, Kansas City and Florida
We even liked to bowl.
When I turned down a walk,
You took me on a bike ride.
And on the bridge over the river,
you asked me to be your bride.
My life was forever changed
By that one magical moment in time
When you asked me if I'd be yours
And in turn, you would be mine.
You wooed me with your bird seed.
With your strength my heart was won.
On April 24, the year 1999,
I knew my life had just begun.
Your Bronco was your first sacrifice
It took all the courage you could muster.
But I guess you do whatcha gotta do
When you need a family truckster.
Our little apartment on Walts
Was our diamond in the rough.
Rats and laughs and the sunshine sleigh,
We thought, "This isn't so rough."
First came Gracie Lou,
She has a flair for drama.
She's 100% a daddy's girl
But acts just like her mama.
From there we moved to Goldenrod
And Kolb Construction was founded.
Our dreams continued to grow
But our feet remained firmly grounded.
Ella Bella came next.
Our little midnight creeper.
She arrived on Tornado Tuesday
And we knew she was a "keeper".
And here we are on Orchid.
It was a true labor of love.
Our marriage remaining intact through it,
Is really a blessing from above.
Lily Jane, our little moocher
Was the third to come along.
Clicking, climbing, smiling
Even crying, she can do no wrong.
Diapers, cleaning, laundry
Boring, some may say.
But obviously, we both know
We wouldn't have it any other way.
Gina and a Subway cup
Labot, Ralph, Kurt and Rita
The Gerbopples, Misner and Pablo
All friends we've been glad to meet-a.
Your patience is unending.
Your love is deep and true.
I know without a shred of doubt,
I can always count on you.
Our life together amazes me.
Of you I am so proud.
There are some times however,
I wish you didn't chew so loud.
You make my life worth living.
You make me feel complete.
Even though in bed at night
You have ridiculously cold feet.
From Izaak Walton to Mexico
We've been on quite a journey.
Sometimes you make me laugh so hard,
I think I'll need a gurney.
They say the eighth year is bronze
But I think it's pure gold.
It's you I see beside me
As together we grow old.
"Fate only takes you so far. Then it's up to you to make it happen"

No comments: